Blog commenting is a relatively easy way to get links to a site and does not have to cost anything. However, unless one does it the correct way, it can also be a huge waste of time. It is important to understand what kinds of blogs to comment on, how to comment correctly and the kinds of benefits to be looking before when blog commenting.
Blog commenting basics
There are a lot of different types of blogs out there, and many of them offer ways for readers to make comments. Usually, the comment form includes a place for the person making a comment to leave a link, and some people leave links in the comment itself (although this decreases the chance the comment will be approved). The links can lead back to the site the commenter wants to promote.
Unfortunately, these links in themselves do not carry a lot of weight with the search engines. While they will help with search engine rankings if one has enough of them, the main goal of blog commenting should be to get one’s site noticed. For example, the owner of the blog being commentated on is likely to visit the site linked. If the site has good content, there is a chance the owner might link to the site in an article or some other relationship can start. Furthermore, there are those visiting the site from the comment link. In other words, the increased traffic and what it brings is the biggest benefit.
Nofollow and dofollow links
There are two basic types of links: nofollow and dofollow. If the link is nofollow it will not pass on any of the authority of the site the link is coming from to the linked site in the eyes of many of the search engines, including Google. Although most blogs are nofollow, there are still a lot of dofollow, blogs out there, and this might seem like a reason to comment only on blogs that offer dofollow links. However, blog commentators should keep in mind that having some nofollow links is natural and does help some with SEO overall. Furthermore, the main purpose of blog commenting should always be to get one’s site noticed and not for the SEO benefits of blog links themselves.
Making the right blog comments
Those making blog comments should put themselves in the perspective of the blog owner. Nobody wants spam comments on their blog that contribute nothing to it. Therefore, comments that do not meet the right criteria are likely to get deleted if they ever make it to the blog at all. When commenting on blogs, remember the following:
- Always read the article and make a comment that directly relates to it.
- The comment should add useful information and thus make the reader want to follow up by clicking on the link.
- Find things to agree with the blogger on and never be too critical.
- Never make useless, generic comments such as “great post!”
- Save the link for the URL box.
- Do not blatantly use keywords in anchor text.
- Use the same name or nickname for commentating to make it possible to build a reputation that people will remember.
The most effective blog commenting
For best results, search for blogs that are as closely related to the site being linked as practical. If these are not available, choose topics of interest or that one has knowledge of so that it will be possible to make good, relevant comments. Moreover, do not simply link to the top page of a site but also choose deeper pages that most closely relate to what is being commentated on.
The most effective commenting will be on blogs with active readership. Look to see how recent the comments are. In addition, if there are generally only a few re-tweets on posts with the TweetMeme button, the post is probably not so popular.
Since the posts on top get noticed the most, try to be the first poster on popular blogs. Check popular blogs related to the niche regularly or subscribe to their RSS feed to beat everyone else to commentating on fresh posts.
Apart from providing posts with relevant useful information, also consider asking questions or stirring things up with points that might be surprising or controversial. Finally, it may be possible to add points that the author missed.
Other tips on blog commenting
- Use a gravatar. More than using the same name or nickname, it is a good idea to consider sticking a face with the name to further build online credibility. Therefore, it helps to create an account with Gravatar.com to get a ‘globally recognized avatar’. By creating an account with Gravatar.com, the photo and any profile info will automatically appear every time a comment is left on any gravatar-supported blog platform.
- Go a little further by tweeting the post. After leaving a comment, consider sharing the post with Twitter followers. If noted by the blog owners, this may even bring some eventual links in future posts or some other form of publicity from them
- Write longer comments as appropriate. If you feel you really have something very valuable to add to the conversation, then by all means, do it – even if it means leaving a longer-than-normal comment. The key is to find a balance between providing enough information and not spending too much time writing long comments that people will skip over. When writing longer comments, break it up with paragraphs when practical to make it easier to read.
- Sprinkle in keywords. Consider sprinkling some keywords and key phrases in the comment, as this may help it show up in the search engine results.
- Look for blogs with decent readership. A post that doesn’t receive a decent readership will not see many people actually read what you wrote and greatly lower the chances of anyone clicking on your comment link. For the most serious commenting, find blogs that regularly get at least five comments in each post.
Finding niche blogs
Taking time to find the right blogs will make any commenting done on them more effective. It is advisable research carefully and to try different methods.
There are a number of different words to use with keyword combinations to help find blogs. Some of the best are below. Try them in search engines replacing [your keyword] with the keywords being targeted.
- [your keyword] blog
- “powered by wordpress” [your keyword]
- “powered by blogger” [your keyword]
- inurl: [your keyword] blog
More selective searches
To find blogs that have already been labeled as top blogs by others, try:
best blogs in [your keyword]
Top Commentator, a widget installed on some websites, shows readers which comments are rated by readers as the best. When making comments that are thought provoking in some ways that will likely be favored, commenting on blogs using Top Commentator can make any comments posted much more effective. It also shows that the blog owner really does want comments. Therefore, it can be a good idea to include “top commentator blogs” in searches.
There are different software programs that can help make finding blogs a lot easier. Kahuna is a free program that does a pretty good job of this.
Webmasters who are busy and want the blog commenting process done as quickly and efficiently as possible should consider Blog Comment Demon. This software makes finding the right blogs easier. For example, searches can be filtered for blogs that are “follow.” If also has features that make commenting faster while tracking blogs and comments to see which ones get approved.
How to find blogs covers various tips on finding blogs in greater detail.
Other benefits of blog commenting
Blog commenting can be an effective way to find out what other sites are doing, expand one’s horizons and get ideas for one’s own sites. It is a form of reading and interacting with others that can be enjoyed!
Whether using software or other methods to find blogs to comment on, it is critical to keep the right blogging methods in mind if blog commenting is to work as a strategy to promote a site. By doing so, more visitors will come and SEO benefits will follow.