Using ebooks for online marketing, whether it is for promoting an affiliate product or your own business site, can be a very effective tool. Why is this so? Here are some of the most important reasons why providing free informational products can give your business a much needed boost.
Reasons why giving away free ebooks can be good for business
- It can help establish your authority in your chosen niche. Providing free ebooks can help build your credibility and establish yourself as an expert in your niche. By giving away value-packed informational products to your website visitors, you can effectively convey your expertise in the topic and gain your readers’ trust and confidence in the process.
- It helps create brand recognition. People wouldn’t buy products and/or services from someone they do not know. Now, by putting your name and your brand in the products that you are giving away, you are essentially putting your business in front of the people who are interested in the products and services you are offering. For this reason alone, offering free informational products can be a very effective online marketing tool.
- It can help build your mailing list. Giving away ebooks can also be a very effective tool in affiliate marketing list building. Since a lot of people appreciate receiving products for free, a good number of interested parties will give their contact information in exchange for your product.
- Ebooks can be modified to appeal to different audiences. The information contained in your ebook can also be used as reference materials for preparing podcasts, videos, webinars and blog articles to help you capture as much of your target audience as possible.
- It can help build traffic to your site. By creating a high-quality ebook and encouraging readers to share it with their families and friends, the ebook may go viral and bring in more traffic to your site for years to come.
How to create an ebook
To create high-quality informational products that can help produce the abovementioned results, here are some things you need to consider:
Do your research. Create a high-quality informational product by conducting a thorough research of your target market first. Consider who you are writing it for and get to know them as much as you can. Use Google Analytics and/or keyword research tools to uncover profitable keywords used by your target market and use them to choose a topic and a title for the product.
Choose a topic and a title for your ebook. Once you have narrowed down your target market and uncovered the search terms, it is time to think about the topic and the title for the ebook. Keep in mind that a title can make or break a book so choose something that is catchy and sparks interest in the topic.
Since thinking about it too much will only delay things, start writing and putting ideas down. To make sure you come up with a good quality ebook, consider the tips below and those in website writing:
- Start with the end in mind. To make sure that the ebook will cater to the needs of those who will read it, start writing with the end in mind.
- Break up your paragraphs. People find it difficult to digest huge chunks of information so use headings and lists liberally. Use shorter paragraphs to make sure you are delivering your message in the clearest way possible. Do what you can to help your readers understand the main points in your ebook and you can be sure that your efforts will be rewarded.
- Use simple fonts. Simple fonts such as Arial, Georgia and Verdana usually work best for ebooks.
- Use photos and relevant images to illustrate main points and to make the product more appealing to the eyes of the readers.
- Have someone to proofread your product. Choose a professional writer or editor who can give you an honest review of your product.
- Create a nice, professional cover for the product to increase its perceived value.
- Consider using ebook templates to simplify your job.
- Use freelancers to outsource the book (or just the proofreading) if you do not have the time or expertise.
Convert to PDF file. After writing the ebook, it needs to be converted to a PDF file – the universally accepted format recognized by PCs, Macs and most ebook readers. To make it more readable, consider saving your work at 120% zoom level.
Start giving it away. Now that your ebook has been created, it is time to let it do its work. Upload the ebook (see, how to add downloads to WordPress if using that platform). Consider email marketing services, or create a web form where people can enter their contact information (basically a name and a valid email address will do) in exchange for your free offer if email marketing is your goal.
Promote your ebook extensively. To increase the chances of it being downloaded by a lot of people, you need to promote your book. As such, consider guest blogging for blogs in related niches to generate more interest in your offer and interact with the readers of those blogs by answering their queries and dispelling their objections. Here are some other ways that you can use to promote your free ebook:
- Start promoting early. Don’t wait until you have the final product ready for release before telling people about it. The earlier you talk about your upcoming book, the better the results will be. So, inform your readers about it as soon as you have decided on a title and give updates from time to time to create more interest. Use your blog and other social media networks for this.
- Provide advance copies. Asking your peers and select readers to review your most recent offering can be a very good idea since you can use their comments to vouch for your work. Remember, testimonials can be such a powerful force in stirring interest and creating favourable response among your readers.
- Put a price tag on it. Putting a monetary value on your free offering can enhance your readers’ interest in getting a copy of the ebook so you may want to put a price tag on it.
- Search engine optimize. Use different off-page SEO techniques to bring traffic to the page.
Tips to maximize potential
- Quality over quantity. Needless to say, the ebook should be of top-notch quality. It should contain valuable information that can help answer your readers’ questions or solve their problems. It would be best if you can provide valid information that they wouldn’t normally get anywhere else. Do not disappoint them by providing outdated and rehashed information.
- Use viral marketing techniques. Encourage readers to share the ebook with their families and friends by putting in a note that they are allowed to do so.
- Resist the temptation of including too many affiliate links. While you should always include a link back to your website, putting on too many affiliate links on the product will definitely turn a lot of people off. They may even dismiss it as a mere marketing ploy rather than a legitimate resource that they can use.
- Keep your ebook updated. Providing updated content is one of the keys to achieving maximum results from distributing free ebooks. It can keep your ebook fresh and abreast with all the latest developments in your niche. As such, you can count on it to bring in more traffic to your blog or website for years to come.
With all of this information, you can see why distributing free ebooks is considered to be one of the most effective online marketing tools and why mastering this technique can prove to be beneficial to the growth of your business.